We have a human hospital cartbased ultrasound system (including echocardiography) with a wide range of variable frequency transducers at Ourvets.
Ultrasonography is an invaluable tool for diagnosis of a wide range of medical and surgical conditions. Ultrasound uses sound waves to form a picture of the interior of the body without using radiation. These images are complimentary to radiographs (x-rays) and provide vital information to aid in diagnosis and treatment.
Richard Lucy is the only veterinarian in the South Island who has completed a certified examined program of ultrasound specific training.
He provides training and seminars for veterinary practices on ultrasonography, receives referrals from practices all over the South Island and travels regularly to Brisbane to provide echocardiography consultancy services. Your veterinarian can easily access ultrasound referral services by directly contacting Richard at Ourvets.
Ultrasound is used in a wide range of conditions other than pregnancy diagnosis, including:
- Splenic and liver disease
- Abdominal masses, intestinal inflammation, foreign bodies and obstructions
- Kidney and urinary tract disease
- Fluid accumulation in the chest or abdomen
- Vomiting and diarrhoea
- Muscle and tendon injuries and joint disease
- Eye swelling and retinal problems
- Heart disease (including patients with breathlessness, fainting, coughing, heart murmurs, hypertension, arrhythmia and for screening of certain breeds of cats and dogs)