We have a human hospital cartbased ultrasound system (including echocardiography) with a wide range of variable frequency transducers at Ourvets.
Ultrasonography is an invaluable tool for diagnosis of a wide range of medical and surgical conditions. Ultrasound uses sound waves to form a picture of the interior of the body without using radiation. These images are complimentary to radiographs (x-rays) and provide vital information to aid in diagnosis and treatment.
Angela Hartman is a Radiography Specialist and receives referrals from practices all over the South Island. Your veterinarian can easily access ultrasound referral services by contacting Ourvets St Albans or by contacting Angela directly.
Ultrasound is used in a wide range of conditions other than pregnancy diagnosis, including:
- Splenic and liver disease
- Abdominal masses, intestinal inflammation, foreign bodies and obstructions
- Kidney and urinary tract disease
- Fluid accumulation in the chest or abdomen
- Vomiting and diarrhoea
- Muscle and tendon injuries and joint disease
- Eye swelling and retinal problems
- Heart disease (including patients with breathlessness, fainting, coughing, heart murmurs, hypertension, arrhythmia and for screening of certain breeds of cats and dogs)